Monday, January 12, 2009

Exhibition - The French Revolution

I've finally been to the Exhibition yesterday.

I was inviting my mum and brother to go with me and found out that my brother went there on a Tuesday already - but the museum is actually regularly closed on Tuesdays!!! :P

The venue was surprisingly packed with people and we need to 'wait' and sort-of 'queue' for viewing. We went there in the afternoon and VERY UNLUCKILY there just started a Cantonese Guided Tour. That lady's voice, esp. after going through the mic, was VERY annoying and she had many "um.. um..", "something like that", and even wrong or keep-correcting-names. Steve said she just read out from the paper and obviously she didn't remember it very well by heart :P

There were many kids as well, even babies. Some cries, occasionally screaming but very soon their mouthes were covered by the adults :P, and quite some 'Why?' 'What is this?' questions.

Apart from all these, it was quite a pleasant experience. Although during the Exhibition I heard some murmur saying that those pictures aren't of very good value, I discovered that they were almost all printed on the History book, that probably means, they were the only evidences or historic records of that period of History.

At least, it's quite good a feeling to see the actual painting (even it might be an "after") of young Napolean (I guess almost every History book got that picture :P Young Napolean in front of a waving flag; action like instructing the army to GO)

And the real pictures during late 19th Centuries are quite impressive.

After going to the Exhibition, I went home and fetched my History books.

Oh!!! I was taught some British histories before!!! But I remember none of the class scene - unlike the American Revolutions and even the Ancient Eygpt, I still remember how Ms Chan asked us to draw the America map and how Mr Wong explained us the measuring method in ancient Eygpt.

I was taught how the Pope excommunicated Henry VIII, how Mary I lifeburnt 200+ people, how Elizabeth I became more and more anti-Catholic: Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Mary Tudor (i.e. Mary I), Edward VI and Elizabeth I were all taught.

Another part of History is the Stuarts (whole one! From James I to Queen Anne, the Commonwealth (Oliver Cromwell) in between and until the German Prince George (i.e. George I)) - I finally vaguely remember what they were when I came across the term "Bill of rights".

And some of the 'Bristish involved' Battles related issues - definitely the famous "Battle of Waterloo" must have been taught! ^^

And, by the underlines and highlights on the textbook, I discovered that I studied 'The Spread of Muslims" and the "Ottoman Empire"/"Byzantine Empire" before :P Also, I was supposed to know who Catherine the Great was.

No comments: