Monday, December 27, 2004

Tsunami in South & South East Asia~


Jackie's back already, but anyway Jakarta's safe. Really sorry to hear the disaster. Incredibly catastrophic!!!! um... Pray for them~


26/12 around 19:xx
Dad phoned me, asked if Jackie called back.
I'm very confused. First, why Dad knows Jackie's coming back to HK tonite?
After a long "chicken & duck talk", finally I managed to know that Indonesia had a big earthquake in the morning.
I told Aunt and Jeffrey called Jackie again. ('coz her flight should have arrived by the time and they called her once) This time, Jackie's bf (still in Indonesia, 'coz call-diverted to his phone) answered and we're told that Jakarta's fine.
26/12 shortly after the call, around 20:00
News headlines -- Richter 8.9 Quake in Indonesia result in Tsunami spreading over the coast of Indian Ocean, from Phuket, Thailand to Somalia, Africa. Victims incl. thousands of local ppl in Sri Lanka & India. Thousands of tourists in Maldives, Sri Lanka & Phuket, also Phi Phi Island were missing. Europeans are the majority.
Oooooo God!!!! Pray, Pray & pray.
27/12 in the morning, reading news
Noticed that it's really devastating. Number of vitims grows up and up. Tons of missing ppl; ppl start finding their frds & relatives on the net.
27/12 18:00 news
Missed the news section.
27/12 late nite, at around 22:xx
i-cable News channel; Quake on Sunday amended to be Richter 9.0!!! (Oooo God! How severe it was!) Many other countries start donating $$ & get involved in the rescue campaign. Officials from different places were sent to those affected countries to help their citizen back home.
Number of victims grew up to 4-zeros figure soooooo quickly!!!!!


When I learned the word 'Catastrophic', I found it quite 'useless'. I wonder when we will use such 'severe' word. Will it be that catastrophic? To my understanding at that time, I would only say the Chinese Tong Shan Quake to be a 'catastrophy'. The first and the only time (up till 25/12/2004) I used the word was in my imaginary essay. That was a writing assignment in the fifth form. The topic was HKCEE 1997 English (syl.B) Paper I (Writing), should be question 3. There were some pictures about big wave, fire etc.
I remembered I wrote a 'quite good & vivid essay' as commented by my teacher. Yup, it's really vivid - almost the same as what I saw on the TV NOW!!! It's too shocking for me. When I saw the TV news, I could almost imagined those "BIG TIDAL WAVES" as what I wrote when I was 15. My story is (so far as I remembered):
Meteor hit Earth --> Quake --> Fire --> Tsunami --> Flooding --> Run Run & Run --> Roof of Building becomes Helicoptor take-off platform --> Rescue Team gave up HK --> Pearl of Orient becomes History of the world! No one knows what happen in the end!My God!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Originally I planned to post some of my writings in high school here, now I wonder if I should 'delete' this one, though I quite like this one. 'coz my imaginary writing has always been my 'weakness'!

No comments: